About Minerva

Minerva Textile Group was formed in 2011 and had its first exhibition in 2012. The original membership had attended workshops at Craft Arena and has evolved over the past 5 years. Membership is now by invitation.

Exhibitions are held at Gallery 50, Craft Arena in September each year.

This blog will show you how our work has developed over the years, and will feature work from our current, past and up-coming exhibitions.

Find out more on our Facebook pages:


Sunday 24 January 2016

Minerva 2016 - January

The group this year consists of myself Denise Gannon, Wendy Smith, Jackie Snell, Pam Mansfield, Lisa McNally and Vicky Kimbell. I'm encouraging all members to show you their progress on both this blog and our Facebook page and to start with here are some pictures of our work so far. 

I have asked members to share some of their skills and knowledge with the group, first up was one of our newest members, Vicky. Nothing like chucking them in the deep end! She gave us a brilliant talk about the use of colour, but unfortunately I was so engrossed I forgot to take any pictures!  

At our last meeting, Lisa showed us some of the sketchbooks she is using for her City & Guilds course, together with some of the work she has done for Minerva so far. She certainly has inspired me to be a bit more creative with recording my work, and I'm hoping some of the other girls will be equally motivated. I know visitors to our exhibitions like to see workbooks/sketchbooks and I'm encouraging everyone to share their thoughts and practice. 

Lisa's sketchbooks

A page from Denise's sketchbook

Jackie's work so far

Lisa's progress

Some of the images Pam is working from
One of the challenges I have given the group this year is to create a piece of work using pack of mixed media pieces. They have to include at least a piece of all the materials in the pack and present it on a 10 x 10 inch frame which has also been provided. I can't wait to see what they all come up with!

Our mixed media pack
We are meeting again in February, and one of us will give you an update then.

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment